Thursday, June 17, 2010

Its All About The Results. Or Is It?


Since the 10th results get out today, it just takes me to the time when I was in that place so many years ago... At that time, it seemed so damned important that I do well... But over the years I've come to realise that it actually doesn't matter that much. For some, sure it does. But for people like me [who have quite the average intelligence quotient], not that much. ;) Just because you didn’t score 98% does not mean that you can’ make a living or have a respectable life ahead of you. It doesn’t mean that your life is going to be a total waste [as we are made to believe].

I realise now, that it was for the better that I was not a merit ranker [it’s not nothing to do with the 'sour grapes' here, honestly ;)] but seriously, if I would really have scored 90%, I would not have had the beautiful life I have today. Not that it would make much of a difference, because I still think I would have done anything but science. Cause apparently, if you have a good percentage, its understood and absolutely obligatory that you pick science to the others, as the other branches are still considered, by majority, as inferior. If you want to have a good life, pick science! That’s the general rule. No profession other than doctor or engineer is considered noble! Evidently nothing can earn you as much money as the two. What bullshit!

After my results came out, I recall like it happened only yesterday, people asked me, ‘why didn’t you take science beta? Why commerce? What are you going to do taking commerce? They spoke like my life was a living hell now that I’ve plunged into commerce!

My parents are both doctors. But I’m not. I don’t ever want to be. In fact, I have ventured into everything, but science. I got my graduate degree in commerce and now my PG in French Lit! And honestly speaking its not that bad! It’s got nothing to do with doctors in general, no offence please! It’s just that, it’s not what I want to do. It’s not my cup of tea. And by cup of tea I don’t want to say that I don’t have the required intelligence for something like that. I might, I don’t know. I seriously have not exploited my brain power in that arena before. And I don’t want to. I don’t want to waste my energy in something that doesn’t interest me. Why should I? Just cause the society expects me to? Well, that’s not a good enough reason to be honest. I might as well put my intelligence to test in something that interests me. Something that would not just be my bread and butter, but my passion too. Something that brings back not just money, but happiness and satisfaction. Now that’s what I call a career. And I think I’m one of the lucky few who have found her passion in her career. I know people who might as well abandon everything they are doing to pursue what they really want to do. And then there are some who want to do something else but are pushed by society to go in a different direction. Why let others decide what you want to do with your life? Why let them define your likes and dislikes?

The only way that you can be happy is doing something your way. Don’t be a doctor or an engineer because the society says so. Find your own passion. Pursue it. Achieve it.

4 comments:

  1. absolutely!! exactly my sentiments.. it doesnt have nething 2 do with mental calibre.. its somethng more imp.. its about passion and interest.. wat drives u.. imagine if u earn from wat u love doing u end up having the cake n eating it too.. for life.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Ydehi... good thots... but i knw u can write better than this. in this i understand, u hv put down yr thots in their crude form. u cud hv embellished them. good show nevertheless :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey!! thanks yaar for your feedback!! i need it..!! to write better!! n u r rite.. i dnt edit it at all... just wrote n put it up.. i shud do it d nxt time..
    thanks re! :)

    ReplyDelete