Monday, January 23, 2012

Time Capsule

It was like unearthing a very old, wonderfully preserved, Time Capsule. A kaleidoscope of mental images, endowed with all the colours, the sounds. Detailed. As if a broken down movie strip from a very old, but frequently watched, movie. Broken bits of conversations, laughter over a long forgotten joke. Every further step inside, made my breath stop even more as memories started to breath life into me. Everywhere i looked, it felt like a Talisman to my journey from being a child, to not being one anymore.

That’s where I fell once; and everybody laughed. This is where he threw me in the water during our 1st holi! This was where I saw my first set of falling stars when i stared at the sky during a black-out. That’s exactly where i hid as a child of 10 years of age. I thought that was such a brilliant place to hide! That tree, it wasn’t there before. I don’t remember hiding behind it. But it looks huge. Looks comfortably settled in the soil. But it cant be that old. It can’t have grown so fast. It hasn’t been so long since I moved.

Has it?

Eight years. It had been eight years since I visited this place. I did frequent it, but never like this. Today was different. Today was like revisiting my years as a child. The times of adolescence. The time of my life that i remember the most. Today was like re-winding the movie and living through it again. Not as a 10 year old kid, but with the 10 year old girl. Alongside her. Watching her, as her shadow.

“Lets meet at the Star”. A phrase, so familiar, that it made my insides disappear. A bunch of words that i would only associate with us. Four friends decide to re-unite after almost a decade. At a space that was the most familiar to them. At the place where they all grew up. Together. They fought, they danced, they cried, they laughed, they played. The Star.

I was unnerved. What would I talk about after 8 years?

But we spoke. Spoke until the time ran out and exceeded. Until our childhood came back to life. We re-lived it. Together again, like when we were kids. Nothing had changed. Nothing metaphysically, at least. Conversations were in exhaustive. Its funny how the past kept us talking. We needed to, i guess. I did.

It was like finding closure. Wonderful, warm closure. With them, with myself, with The Star, to whom I never really said good-bye in a way that it deserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment